The Luxor Museum overlooking the west bank of Nile is a relatively small museum with a notable amount of antiquities to display but very distinctive and takes great pride in the quality side of its display.
Tourism In Egypt has some of the most attractive Egyptian Sites and an interesting contemporary culture, the trove of antiquities is what attracts most visitors. Egypt has listed above 50 museums and still many have still to find their way to the list as it has reached the heart of tourist worldwide.
|25° 42′ 27″ N, 32° 38′ 41″ E
|55 m long and 29 m wide
The museum is designed by Dr. Mahmud El Hakim, a top Egyptian architect in 1962. However, the plans came to fruition in 1972 and were completed by 1975.
Located on a waterfront in the centre of Luxor, it drives to point out the best displays within and outside of the building.
The building includes:
- Garden giving an open air museum feeling to the displays.
- First floor contains some magnificent statues, coffins and walls etc.
- Ground Floor contains relics from Theban area mostly.
- Among the collection, 26 well-preserved statues from the New Kingdom era shine brightly showing the museum in a different light.
- The artefacts from the tomb of King Tutankhamen, such as model boats, figures of servants, sandals and arrows are the most intriguing ones.
- Some Coptic and Islamic items also grace the museum display.
- It is believed that many remarkable relics are unable to brace the showcase of display as the museum is not designed to house quantity.
Most Anticipated Items
- Colossal head of Amenhotep III
- Head of a cow goddess
- Statue Amenhotep III with Sobek
- A statue of Akhenaton wearing a double crown
- Statue Amenhotep, son of Hapu
- Statue of Rameses III
- Statue of the goddess Iunyt
- Statue of Amenhotep III
- Statue of Horemheb before Amun
- Mud brick walls of the Temple of Akhenaton.
- The royal mummies of Ahmose I and Ramsis I
- Pillar of King Sesostris I
- Statue of the famous goddess Hathour
- A collection of Coptic antiquities
- Cartoon mummy cover called cartonnage
These classifications are not ending alls. We can also divide them into Egyptian Sites, where we can get into details. That is why we offer guides with multiple language skills and experience in Egyptology to help you see your dream destination with new eyes and fall in love with Egypt as we do… Egypt Tour Packages give you the chance to experience Egypt’s history and best attractions.
For detail viewing, come and witness the glorious history of the Luxor Museum with Nile Holiday today..