Giza Solar Boat Museum was built around to preserve the reconstruction of Khufu Solar Ship. The ship and the museum lies next to Pyramid of Khufu.
Tourism In Egypt has some of the most attractive Egyptian Sites and an interesting contemporary culture, the trove of antiquities is what attracts most visitors. Egypt has listed above 50 museums and still many have still to find their way to the list as it has reached the heart of tourist worldwide.
|Name:||Khufu Solar Boat Museum|
|Location:||29° 58′ 41″ N, 31° 8′ 4″ E|
|Restoration:||Khufu Solar Boat|
|During Ramadan:||till 3:00pm|
Giza Solar Boat Museum primarily preserves the Khufu ship which was originally built of Khufu in his Great Pyramid. It was part of the extensive goods for King Khufu in his afterlife.
Kamel el-mallakh is the architect who discovered and designed the Khufu solar ship in 1954. But the reconstruction was done by Egypt’s chief restorer, Ahmed Youssef Moustafa.
The boat took years to reassemble, which was why it was put on display in 1982 in Giza Pyramid complex.
The solar boat is housed in the Giza Solar Boat Museum in a compartment that protects the boat from outside elements. This museum houses:
- The Reassembled ship of Khufu
- A small model of solar ship.
- And photos of its discovery and reassembling of the ship.
However, the boat is its main highlight with imposing size of 43.6 m long and 5.9 m wide. The boat is made of cedar wood that used as ritual materials in ancient times. About 1224 original pieces are buried in the section where ‘boat of Khufu’ was mentioned. These pieces were dug out during the cleaning process and were later put together to reassemble the boat along with 12 paddles.
- The wood pieces found are believed to have been 7000 years old before being cut and used in the boat.
- That makes the age of solar boat not less than 12000 years. The boat designed during Khufu reign is advanced and very intelligent.
- These boats were designed in the shape of lotus and papyrus, the ancient symbols of Egypt.
- Functional or not, the ships are vessels that represent journey of Sun God Ra, and was believed to take his king on this journey in afterlife.
- The boat can be viewed from three different angles which is why the boat is placed 8m higher than ground.
These classifications are not ending alls. We can also divide them into Egyptian Sites, where we can get into details. That is why we offer guides with multiple language skills and experience in Egyptology to help you see your dream destination with new eyes and fall in love with Egypt as we do… Egypt Tour Packages give you the chance to experience Egypt’s history and best attractions.
For detail viewing, come and witness the glorious history of Giza Solar Boat Museum with Nile Holiday today..