The most striking and complex culture to have undergone millions of transformations and influence of time. The Egyptian Culture and Costume
their mystic era were first influenced by Hellenism later by Islam and Christianity. Thus, being affected by so many cultures and ethnic groups created a beautiful and most intriguing culture that world ever witnessed.
||North East Africa bordering Palestine (Gaza Strip) 11 km
||Israel 266 km
||Libya 1,115 km
||Sudan 1,273 km
||Hot, dry summers with cool winters
||Eastern Hamitic stock (Egyptians, Bedouins, and Berbers)
||Greek, Nubian, Armenian, Italian and French
||Muslim 94%, Coptic Christian and other 6%
||Egyptian Arabic (68%), English
||Sa’idi Arabic (29%),
||Bedouin Arabic (1.6%),
||Sudanese Arabic (0.6%),
|Main immigrant languages:
||Greek, Armenian, Italian
|Main foreign languages:
||English and French
Locally known as Masri (Egyptian) is spoken by most contemporary Egyptians.
Mostly studied in schools and colleges, hence, widely used.
Main spoken language in southern Egypt for mostnon-urbanized people.
: Locally known as Nobiin spoken in the lower Nile valley.
Mostly spoken in the Sinai Peninsula.
Spoken by the Sudanese minority.
Locally known as Siwi Berber spoken around Siwa Oasis.
Spoken mostly in Cairo and Luxor.
Dominant foreign language and mostly in Cairo.
Greek, Armeni, and Italian:
Used by immigrants and mostly in Alexandria.
Ancient Egyptian Art
is the most fascinating part of Egyptian Culture
. Ancient Egypt paintings, remarkable sculptures, stone and ceramics, drawings on papyrus, ancient pottery, jewellery, etc. are some of the most sensational portrayal of the ancient Egypt customs and traditions. Ancient Egyptian Art is both highly stylized and symbolic. The regal and intriguing statues were most likely was used to reinforce the godliness of the ruling caste.
Ancient Egyptian Architecture
is a cocktail of various structures and monuments where pyramids and temples are major ingredients. Egyptian Art and styles have altered very little over the years. However, the tombs and monuments are the surviving highlights of Ancient Egypt’s traditions and customs.
Since, Islam is practised by the majority of Egyptians; it governs their personal, political, economic and legal lives.
- Islam observes prayer 5 times a day and the exact time is printed in local newspaper every day.
- Everything is closed in Friday due to the importance of Friday in Islam.
- Family values can be viewed as conservative and traditional.
- The head of the family, tribe or group is always revered.
- Preferential treatment to family or tribe is not viewed negatively here.
- However, both nuclear and extended families can be seen.
- Honour, respect and esteem for people are very important for Egyptian people.
- Female: No strict dress code for females. But modesty is an elemental requirement. So normally females are seen dressed in a lightweight and loose-fitting attires covering from head to toe. Few females do wear the hijab (covering the neck and head) and niqab (covering the face and head).
- Male : Most males prefer Western-type apparels. However, Muslim males don’t wear clingy dresses and few prefer traditional galabiya (loose-fitting ankle-length robe) along with a skullcap or fez. And a kaftan (ankle-length coat with large sleeves, belted around the waist) is worn over the galabiya.
The colours and intrigue of Egyptian Culture and Customs
is a temptation that is hard to resist. And NILE HOLIDAY
inspire to unlock these treasures….