The Citadel of the seventh century, St. Simeon Monastery, was first assigned to the fourth-century local saint Abba Hedra, who relinquished the world on his wedding day. It was reconstructed in the tenth-century and dedicated to St. Simeon. Monks moved into Nubia, in the hope of changing the Nubians to Christianity, until Salah ad-Din defeated the monastery in 1173. It is also consider as Aswan Top Attractions.
The St. Simeon Monastery bound in desert sands built in two levels has a lower level of stone and an upper level of mud brick surrounded by 10-meter-high walls.
The basilica has marks of frescoes, and there is a chamber where St. Simeon prayed with his beard tied to the roof in case he fell asleep. The pads with their mastaba beds once equipped settlement for about 300 resident monks and some 100 pilgrims.
The monastery subjected to active building exercise during the first half of the eleventh century has numerous tall structures.
It consists of the real rock caves of the saints, a church with its baptistery, and ancient-style lodging for pilgrims. Its lobby heading into the monastery has a barrel-arched roof.
The entrance door plans out from the east wall of the enclosure under a defensive tower.
Despite the fact that the St. Simeon Monastery is essentially only collection of ruins, there are still some interesting things to see, hence the reason why the site is often featured in lists of Aswan Sightseeing Tours.
The necropolis of the religious residence has yielded nearly 200 tombstones. Their text shows three distinct editions and different prayer formulas valuable to researchers.