Siwa Oasis, The most urbanised oasis that lies between the Egyptian Sand Sea and Qattara Depression in the Western Desert near the Libyan border.
Egypt Tours are worth visiting that lets you leave the modern world behind and enjoy the naturally deserted retreat kingdoms of ancient culture and lifestyle.
|Location:||29° 11′ 0″ N,|
|25° 33′ 0″ E|
- The oasis was settled in Ancient Egypt times, near about 26th
- A necropolis was established first and was called Sekhtam which meant palm land.
- During Greek rule, oracle temple of Ammon came into focus and was named Ammonium.
- The people resisted Islamic invasion till 12th
- Later in 1819, it was officially dubbed as the Eyalet of Egypt by Muhammad Ali.
- The Siwans are mostly Berber tribes who resisted against becoming a regular part of Egypt government.
- Still, the culture and its remote location make it different from general Egypt and Egyptian culture.
Summer: April – Oct
June: Hottest month – Avg. Temp. Of 38°C and sunshine for 11 hours
Winter: November – March
January: Coldest month – Avg. Temp. Of 19°C and sunshine for 7 hours
Rainfall: Avg. 9mm per year
January, March and November: Wettest months with Avg. Of 2mm
The Siwa Oasis agro-ecosystem is biodiversity with the flora of 154 species, out of which 52 were cultivated. Non-cultivated species consisted predominately of therophytes. Being hyper-arid in climate, the isolated oasis is a sanctuary of many rare species as well as many endemic ones too.
- Acacia raddiana (shallow sandy depressions)
- Phragmites swamps
- Juncus rigidus (saline flats between lake and sand formations)
- Zygophyllum album, Nitraria retusa, Tamarix nilotica, Alhagi graecorum, and Sporobolus spicatus (sand formations)
- Date palm and olive groves
The economy of the oasis depends on:
- Oil Drilling
The main cultivated products are:
- Sweet lime
- Herb gardens
- Medicinal plants
Natural heritage components:
- Freshwater springs,
- Palm fields,
- Rock and Sand formations.
Cultural heritage components:
- Local festivals,
- Traditional houses,
- Traditional handcrafts,
- Historical trade route,
- Archaeological remains (temples, caves, fortresses, and necropolises).
- The ancient fortress Shali Ghadi
- Oracle Temple
- Gebel al Mawta
- Roman-era necropolis
- Cleopatra’s Bath
- Amun Temple
- Tombs of Si-Amon, Misu-lsi, Niperpathot, and Alexander the great
- Oldest Fossilized Hominid Footprint
- Timasirayn temple
- Lake Siwa
- Siwa Oasis
But even after all that Egypt Tourism brings Egypt spectacular beaches, Egypt’s art & culture, thrilling activities, food, riveting nightlife, Egypt’s particular brand of wine and dine and many more action and adventure.
These Western Desert’s Paradises in middle tempt every man in the face of earth. How remote or small, they hold our heart firmly and take it by storm. Egypt is happy to share these small pieces of his heart with whoever wants to bask in the pleasure as such. And Nile Holiday ensures these pleasurable adventures and encourages enjoying these valleys without worrying about security and as such. So, let you heart guide you to Egypt’s small piece of heaven of Siwa Oasis now..