The oldest and largest museum of Egypt houses the biggest collection of Ancient Egypt artefacts.
|Location:||30° 0′ 21.6″ N, 31° 13′ 51.6″ E|
|Collection Size:||16,000 items|
|During Ramadan:||till 4:00pm|
Marcus Simaika Pasha built the museum in 1908 and inaugurated it in 1910. In 1931, it became a state museum and Christian antiquities were moved in 1939 to Egyptian Museum. Later, the entire museum was renovated in 1983 and 1984. Further renovations were exercised in 2005-06.
The building has two new annexes with the original aisles go through 12 sectional displays.
Collection of Coptic Artefacts rich with Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman traditions links ancient and Islamic Egypt.
Collection of objects, such as stonework, woodwork, metalwork, textiles and manuscripts.
Collection of 1,200 Nag Hammadi manuscripts in a library that is only allowed to specialist researchers.
Apart from the museum, there are gardens and courtyards and the area is surrounded by 6 old Coptic churches.
The building is covered with mosaics and styled with old mashrabiya screens that bring serenity and piousness to the Coptic grounds here.
Located inside Roman Babylon fort, the museum is now center of Attraction in Coptic Cairo.
The 2 storied building has 8 sections:
Stone and Portraits section
Coptic writing section
Pottery and Glass section
Cloth and Textile Section
For detail viewing, come and witness the glorious history of Coptic Museum with NILE HOLIDAY today..